Ab Frühjahr 2021 bieten wir den brandneuen WSET L3 Award in Spirits an. Diese Qualifikation ist ausschliesslich in englischer Sprache verfügbar!
The WSET Level 3 Award in Spirits is an advanced-level qualification for professionals and enthusiasts wishing to acquire a detailed understanding of the spirits of the world and develop the tasting skills required to accurately describe and evaluate a spirit.
This qualification is intended to build on knowledge and skills gained from the Level 2 Award in Spirits. You’ll acquire a deep theoretical understanding of the techniques used in spirit production, from the processing of raw materials to post-distillation operations. Through a combination of tasting and the application of theoretical knowledge you will learn to explain confidently why spirits look and taste the way they do and how and why they differ from each other.
- A detailed understanding of the techniques used in spirit production:
- Processing of raw materials
- Alcoholic fermentation
- Post-distillation practices
- Factors affecting the style and quality of spirits, studying eleven core spirit categories in detail:
- Scotch Whisky
- Rye Whiskey
- Tennessee Whiskey
- Caribbean rum
- An overview of 23 additional spirit categories, focusing on:
- Principal production methods
- Key styles
- Key labelling terms
- How to taste and describe spirits using the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting Spirits®(SAT)
This qualification has a minimum requirement of 84 hours* of study time:
- 30 hours delivery time with a WSET course provider
- 51 ½ hours personal study and revision
- 2 ½ -hour examination
The 2½ hour closed-book examination is made up of:
- Unit 1: a two-part theory examination
- Part 1 is made up of 50 multiple-choice questions
- Part 2 is made up of short answer questions
- Unit 2: a tasting examination of two spirit samples tasted blind
You will need to pass both parts of the theory examination (Unit 1), and the tasting examination (Unit 2), to achieve the qualification.
On successful completion of the examination you will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin, and will be able to use the associated certified logo.